Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Still Got My Standards!

I grew up blessed with many privileges....one of them was that every couple months, my mom would take us girls to the Beauty Salon. Not SuperCuts. Not a BarberShop. We went to the real deal. The kind of place where you walk in and see the "regulars" sippin cappuccinos, sharing the latest gossip. Everyone knows you by name. The little old ladies pinch your cheeks and give you kisses. You make an appt to see your favorite stylist and she KNOWS how you want your hair done. And its not just a cut. The wash, the scalp massage, the blow dry, style, everything was included. They even had a special sponge duster to brush off the excess hairs that might fall on you. I could count on good conversation, free goodies, compliments and an entire fun, girly pampering experience where you walk out on the door ready to conquer the world!


Well, today I had a rude awakening that those days are long gone for me. Mom went to heaven, the economy is bad, my hubby is out of work and we live in a trailer park. Times are tough.
I got a coupon in the mail for Fantastic Sams summer specials and since my hair hadn't been cut or colored since Christmas (disgusting I know!) , I figured I would give it a try. How bad could it be?

I walk in to this particular location and am greeted by the owner, who says she is available to take me right away! I thought Yay! The owner is probably the best and I am going to get top quality service....

The first thing she does is pay me a compliment! "So tell me why did you color your hair black"? I said, Excuse me? That is my natural hair color. (The ENDS of my hair are brown from where the old Christmas color used to be) She went on to tell me that the brown was much prettier than my natural color and she suggested I go blonde for the summer. I politely declined as I had no interest in giving my husband a heart attack today.

With that subject buried, she next suggested that we go wash my hair. Apparently she forgot to wear her glasses. I had just taken a shower and came in with a soaking wet mop of hair. I pointed out to her "My hair is newly washed and not yet dry", BUT since she didn't trust my conditioning, we had to walk over to the bowl and wash my hair for the 2nd time. The water was freezing cold and I was certainly not going to receive the type of scalp massage I expected. Her version was to throw a towel over my head after the wash and vigorously rub my hair dry enough to turn blonde on it's own :)

Back to the cutting chair I walk and sit down to explain that I wanted lots of layers and weight taken off the back. She went straight to work, sprayed my hair completely wet AGAIN (???!!!) and barely spoke the entire time. Never asked me any questions. She left a few times to answer the phone. In no time at all, she announced she was done and I looked down to see hardly anything on the ground. (my hair is so thick, usually there is a enough leftover on the floor to make a wig for someone else!) The cape came off and I soon noticed the aftermath of my hair cut mostly showed in 1000 tiny little hairs covering my clothing. (which she wasn't going to brush off) She spun me around in the chair and asked if I liked the new cut! Well honestly, I was a little puzzled. My hair was still totally soaked and she said a blow dry would cost extra. She had to take the next customer and had no time for a style either. I couldn't even tell anything changed. You would think in the least Fantastic Sams would offer Self-Service blow dryers! Or perhaps a Curl-Your-Own Hair station? Nope! Not gonna happen.
I paid my $16.95 to the cashier and left. I didn't feel like I could conquer the world. I didn't feel like I could even show my face in the grocery store. It was over 100ยบ outside and my naturally curly hair was just minutes away from poofing into a lion's mane. Thankfully, I keep a hair clip in my car and quickly did the sunglasses over bangs + hair wrapped up in a clip.

What was supposed to be a fun, girly experience totally turned out disappointing. Even though I'm not rich in wealth, I still got my standards! Shouldn't Fantastic Sams have higher standards too? I think next time I will try my luck at the spanish salon on 6th street. I won't be able to understand a word the stylists say, but those ladies know how to deal with with thick, massive manes and maybe I'll atleast get some chips n' salsa or something!!

PS: Thank you Lord for wonderful friends who have loving mothers, willing to step in and help me as their own daughter. Melinda's Mom, Linda is coming over tonight to teach me the art of home hair coloring :)

0 comments: