Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Part TWO: Things You Learn While Living In a Trailer Park.....

This may be an ongoing list :)

5. Electrical. You can not blow dry your hair, while the curling iron is plugged in, and the air conditioner is running. It sets the power off! (which happened to me today!) The same challenge lies in the Plumbing dept too. Our family knows never flush the toilet or run the dishwasher while someone is taking a shower otherwise they'll get a very CHILLY shower!!


6. Earthquake Drills. We frequently get to experience random earthquake drills in our trailer park. This comes in very handy since we live in California! Here are few things that can set the trailer to "shaking status": *Helicopters flying over us too low. *Bulldozers and machinery digging in the lot behind us. *Loading my new mega washing machine with a dozen pairs of jeans.

7. Accountability. One thing you can count on when living in a Trailer Park is accountability from your neighbors. I can never get upset and raise my voice at the children without BOTH sides of our neighbors hearing the entire battle. I can not gossip on the telephone. I can not get into an arguement with my husband. The neighbors can hear us word for word. That's what happenes when you can reach out and touch each other. Knowing that they are listening (especially because they're nosey) helps me think twice before I speak. 

8. Porches. Right now our porch is a catch-all that needs to be cleaned out! After all these years I've never found quite the right "stuff" to decorate our front porch. But porches in a trailer park are a big extension of the home itself and taken very seriously in our neighborhood. You have to express yourself with this space. Our park manager makes her rounds to "check up" on the status of our porches.  Some neighbors use it as their sanctuary placing ponds, plants and swings on their front porch. Others inclose theirs in with mesh netting and sheets flowing (for fancy affect of course lol). I've seen people add on a whole room complete with furniture, while others use it as pub (bar tables, refrig, dart board, the works!). Lord help us!

TO BE CONTINUD........

0 comments: